General Finishes Copper Pearl Effects 90 Ml
General Finishes Copper Pearl Effects 90 Ml is a water-based, acrylic, pearlescent paint used to create specialty finishes. They may be applied to General Finishes water-based stains, paints, and topcoats to produce shimmering, metallic effects.
Step 1: Preparation for Pearl Effects
Over a Newly Sealed Surface
If Pearl Effects are applied over a newly sealed surface, it is not necessary to sand the sealed surface before application.
Over a Previous Existing Finish
If Pearl Effects are applied over an older, existing finish, prep cleaning and sanding is required to remove dirt, grime and potential contaminants.
Sand glossy existing finishes with fine-grade (220-320) foam sanding pad or 400-grit sandpaper before applying Pearl Effects.
Step 2: How To Apply General Finishes Pearl Effects
We recommend 1-2 coats of paint or top coat before application. Sand glossy existing finishes with fine-grade (220-320) foam sanding pad or 400-grit sandpaper before applying Pearl Effects.
- Pearl Effects will separate in the can. Stir paint to reincorporate solids that have settled to the bottom before and throughout the application process. TIP: turn can upside down before stirring to make it easier to mix.
- If desired, thin Pearl Effects with General Finishes Extender or High Performance Topcoat. Add 5% to dry-brush, add 10% to create a glaze. Add more for a translucent look. Extender will improve flow and leveling and increase open time; helpful in dry climates.
- Apply 1 + coat of Pearl Effects:
- Hand application: Apply using an acrylic bristle brush, foam brush, paint pad applicator or roller.
- Spray application: Before spraying, strain paint through a medium-mesh filter. HVLP: 1.8mm-2.0mm spray tip, medium air cap. Verify tip sizes with your equipment supplier. See our general guide for spray tip sizes. Keep your gun at a 90* angle, 6-8″ from the surface. On large, flat areas, use wet, even patterns 6-8″ wide. For narrow surfaces, reduce the fan pattern to 2-3″ wide to reduce overspray. Overlap each pass 25% to conceal lines. Wear a full filter respirator (NIOSH/MSHA approved) and work in a ventilated space.
- Dry 3+ hours between coats and before topcoat in ideal conditions: 70*F 20*C; 50-70% humidity. Allow to dry completely. If in doubt, wait longer. Rushing dry time can cause clouding/blush in topcoat due to moisture trapped between coats. Increase dry time if:
- Humidity is over 80%
- 3+ coats are applied
- A thick coat is applied
- Applying over an existing sealed finish
- Applying over products from other brands
- Layering General Finishes water- and oil-based products:
- Water over oil: Let oil-based products dry 72+hr before applying water-based products
- Oil over water: Let water-based products dry 24+hr before applying oil-based products
- To accelerate dry time in humid conditions, add General Finishes Accelerator and work in a space with good ventilation and air movement. If you decide to re-coat before the recommended time, test dryness.
- If a smoother texture is desired, finish sand between coats with fine-grade (220-320) foam sanding pad or 400-grit sandpaper to improve smoothness and adhesion.
- Remove dust with a vacuum, oil-free tack cloth or clean water dampened rag before re-coating.
- Always seal Pearl Effects with 2-3 coats of clear topcoat.
Water-based finishes cure and harden for full use after 21 days in ideal conditions. Avoid placing heavy objects on surfaces that have not completely cured. Treat gently, and do not clean with commercial products during the curing period.
Step 3: Topcoat over Pearl Effects
ALWAYS seal General Finishes Pearl Effects with 2-3 coats of clear topcoat, e.g. General Finishes High Performance Topcoat.