General Finishes Water Based Glazed Effects 473 Ml
General Finishes Water Based Glazed Effects is a translucent water-based colors used to create beautiful decorative finishes such as marbling, shabby chic, burnishing and color washing.
Use over Water Based Wood Stains, Milk Paints, Chalk Style Paints and Pearl Effects. Glaze Effects can be intermixed or layered to create custom colors. They may also be layered over one another to create deeper, richer looks.
Available on line @ www.shabby.ie
General Finishes – www.generalfinishes.com
Step 1 Preparation
If Glaze Effects are applied directly over an older existing finish, prep cleaning and sanding are required to remove dirt, grime and potential contaminants.
General Finishes Glaze Effects Application Steps
- Stir Glaze Effects to reincorporate solids that have settled to the bottom of the can before and throughout the application process.
- If desired, add 10-15% General Finishes Extender to increase open time; helpful in dry climates and on large projects.
- Apply 1+ coats:
- Hand application: Apply using an acrylic bristle brush, foam brush, paint pad applicator or roller. Wipe away excess Glaze Effects with an absorbent paper or shop towel.
- Spray application: HVLP: 1.3mm-1.5mm spray tip, medium air cap. Check with equipment supplier for proper tip sizes. Check equipment supplier for proper tip sizes. See our general guide for spray tip sizes. Wear a mask and work in a ventilated space. Read here for more information on spraying techniques.
- Dry 3+ hours between coats and before topcoat in ideal conditions: 70*F 20*C; 50-70% humidity. Be sure to allow adequate dry time. You can tell if a water-based finish is dry if it forms a powder when lightly sanded with a fine-grade (220-320) foam sanding pad or 400-grit sandpaper. If in doubt, wait longer. Rushing dry time can cause clouding/blush in topcoat due to moisture trapped between coats.Increase dry time if:
- Humidity is over 80%
- A thick coat is applied
- 3+ coats are applied (not recommended)
- Applying over an existing sealed finish
- Applying over products from other brands
- Layering General Finishes water- and oil-based products:
- Water over oil: Let oil-based products dry 72+hr before applying water-based products
- Oil over water: Let water-based products dry 24+hr before applying oil-based products
- If a smoother texture is desired, carefully finish sand between coats with a fine-grade (220-320) foam sanding pad or 400-grit sandpaper to improve smoothness and adhesion.
- Remove dust with a vacuum, oil-free tack cloth or clean water dampened rag before re-coating.
- Always seal Glaze Effects with 2-3 coats of topcoat to seal in the colorants.
Water-based finishes cure and harden for full use after 21 days in ideal conditions. Avoid placing heavy objects on surfaces that have not completely cured. Treat gently, and do not clean with commercial products during the curing period.